Many people advised that we should not leave regular jobs to work on freelance job or do business early. They also advice we need to be employed for full time in long term around 5-10 years first before leave for freelance or business. Wherever we are, all struggling, but when we jump in own work, we will feel that we hold a very big rock on our back. We need to consider everything by ourself and need to take challenges to overcome it.
Life is hard, it is more harder when we enjoy social activities rather than money orientated activities. It is more harder when we enjoy working for social benefit than for oneself. It is more harder when we think about others much than oneself.
Life is struggling. Since the end of 2013 till early 2015, to catch the dream I was being unemployed around one years and half to explore and adventure in finding the ways to be environment economist and seek for sustainable living style. And again, I was being another unemployed for whole 2016 at the same purpose and finally jump in library and knowledge management sector. Many people asked me how can I survive especially budget for wedding, transportation, communication, friends gathering, clothing and so on.
Sure, it is not easy to survive and enjoy life, but it is not pity like others, like people who is suffering and no food to eat. It is not hard like others who do not have home. It is not so difficult like others who even cannot go to study at school. I still have 3 meals and a good shelter to sleep. What I am lacking is budget to fix motor when broken, budget for wedding reason, budget for friends gathering or party, budget for working facilities especially when computer and phone broken, budget for traveling, budget for saving in case emergency and budget for any saving including for future wedding, own home, capital, healthcare and even for study in higher education especially pursue master degree. So only less new cloth, less gathering friends, less party, less entertainment, less traveling, less freedom to do what we love to do and so on.
To manage event is hard, to manage project is more harder, manage life is more and more harder. The life is full of misery, but also mystery. We cannot blame others, but blame oneself who not try more harder, who not work harder, and who not think harder.
Flashback to unemployment situation is facing, let’s clear doubt of many people how could I survive when I involve so much with volunteer works at that times. Since end of 2010, I start to involve in volunteer and social work especially environment, education (including reading and writing), culture and media. In the early of 2013, I involve in social work in form of volunteer much more than before. To sustain social work as active mode, I also involve in paid job as freelance working style.
- Freelance on news writing: as I remember, I earned some budget from Khmer economy magazine and Cambodia economy magazine.
- Freelance on translation: There are organization I worked for.
- Freelance on interpretation: Involve both interpret from English to Khmer, Khmer to English, also from Chinese to Khmer, Khmer to Chinese too. That’s also including interpret for foreign report at Phnom Penh Post.
- Freelance on selling tourism service: when have time, also used to become guide for tourist a few times. Also sell some tourism package including tour package for traveling, passport service, bus service, restaurant booking and so on.
- Investor: in 2013, I also jump in newly establish stock market in Cambodia to experience and for learning invest a small money to be investor that time then earn some budget for survive too that time.
- Minute taker: join a workshop and write what is going on in the workshop.
- Speaker: Most of the times being speaker is volunteering. But some events especially even in Nepal and Barcamp, I also get fund from them on being speaker .
- Trainer: beside being volunteering trainer in many field like writing, leadership, event management, blogging, and technology. Also used to earn from being trainer on “How to write blog”.
These paid look like a lot, but earning not equal to every month salary basis, still happy to continue these kind of journey. Journey is on going.
What’s just my experience only. If you know more opportunities on it, please share.